Purpose

I've made a goal to daily post either a thought, quote, something learned, favorite books, goals, what I'm grateful for, etc. with the goal in mind of achieving well-being, experiencing joy, and to feel whole. My definition of being "whole" is to refine and develop the mind, body, and spirit so my daily posts will be addressing these different components of our lives. Hopefully you'll find something helpful, interesting, or of some worth to you. Here goes nothing! :)

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Missing Curriculum

San Antonio TX - Feb 2012
Another motivation for starting this blog is my sincere concern with the lack of crucial skills being taught in our society today. Unfortunately acquiring some of the most fundamental skills are not naturally built into our culture of learning and development.

I find it interesting that we are required to spend hours on mathematics courses, learning many concepts most human beings will never use in ever day life. Yet so many individuals don't know how to save money. I'm shocked at how many people do not have a budget or know how to live by one (you know, spend less than you make... foreign concept, I know). As human beings, we generally don't have good listening skills or know how to hold a very important conversation effectively.  Most people become parents, but a person has to go pretty far out of their way to schedule time, pay for, and attend a parenting course. I like to refer to these types of areas as "The Missing Curriculum."

These are skills & tools (along with many others I will be addressing) that I believe every person needs to have education on and access to, in order to live a more sustainable and enjoyable life. I'm actually in the beginning stages of writing a book about these skills. Depending on my motivation level, we'll see how long it takes me to write it. :) I have come across so many amazing books that cover one or two of these topics but have yet to find something that is more all-encompassing. 

I have quite a list of skills I will be covering but for today I'll ask, what do you see as "missing curriculum" in our world today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Constructive comments are always welcome!