Purpose

I've made a goal to daily post either a thought, quote, something learned, favorite books, goals, what I'm grateful for, etc. with the goal in mind of achieving well-being, experiencing joy, and to feel whole. My definition of being "whole" is to refine and develop the mind, body, and spirit so my daily posts will be addressing these different components of our lives. Hopefully you'll find something helpful, interesting, or of some worth to you. Here goes nothing! :)

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Flow

Kauai HI - Apr 2012
I wanted to start my first post by promoting a book I recently finished call Flow, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. This book is actually what inspired me to blog (in general) and to post something daily.   

Flow was written to explain the psychology of optimal experience. Something I took away from this book is that in order to obtain optimal experiences, we must become life-long learners. We're not talking about traditional school learning where you're simply cramming information into your mind for tomorrow's quiz that you probably won't remember next semester (over even next week). It's about investing time and energy into one topic or activity just because you find it interesting and enjoyable. The goal is to get "lost" in the experience; where time doesn't seem to exist because you're so caught up in the enjoyment of what you're doing. I'd like to share some of the other things I learned from this book over the next few days but the question to think about today is what type of activities/learning do you enjoy the most? When was the last time you allowed yourself to be immersed in these moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Constructive comments are always welcome!