Purpose

I've made a goal to daily post either a thought, quote, something learned, favorite books, goals, what I'm grateful for, etc. with the goal in mind of achieving well-being, experiencing joy, and to feel whole. My definition of being "whole" is to refine and develop the mind, body, and spirit so my daily posts will be addressing these different components of our lives. Hopefully you'll find something helpful, interesting, or of some worth to you. Here goes nothing! :)

Monday, May 14, 2012

30 Day Challenge

Today I'd like to invite anyone reading this post to take on a 30 Day Challenge with Eric and I!

We've done this challenge a couple of times this year and have decided to do it again :) The basics of the challenge are listed below. If you're willing and ready to do more, follow the link above for the original challenge Eric & I accepted and will be doing for the next 30 days, starting today!
  • No sugar
  • No grains (corn is a grain, so it's a no no)
  • 3-5 hours of slow movement/activity per week
Think you can do it?  When you first start looking in your fridge and pantry, you may feel pretty restricted but I would suggest focusing on all of the things you can eat during this challenge (meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, dairy, etc). There are tons of great options to choose from!

I'm definitely concerned with the health of our country. Regardless of anyone's political views, I think we can all agree that we have a serious problem. Weight is steadily increasing, body fat percentages are too often in the danger zone, disease and allergies are running rampant, etc. The current guidelines we've been given, obviously aren't working for the majority.

I don't want to tell anyone how they should eat but a site that I love to go to for ideas and recipes is Marks Daily Apple. His site is actually where we got the challenge from. Mark Sisson promotes "primal living," which is more encompassing than just what you put in your mouth. He talks a lot about simplifying our lives and focusing on quality versus quantity. I love that!

Another interesting article Eric shared with me recently talks about sugars and grains and their correlation with obesity, even during the Great Depression (Why the Campaign to Stop America's Obesity Crisis Keeps Failing). I'm probably just crazy but I found this article pretty intriguing.

This challenge does require a little bit of an open mind because it doesn't necessarily go in line with the "conventional wisdom" we are taught (the food pyramid, etc). I do suggest giving it a try and seeing how your body reacts to it. The first time I tried the challenge, I definitely experienced the Carb Flu for a week or two. As your body adjusts to burning fat for energy instead of carbohydrates, you may end up losing weight, reducing body fat, sleeping better, be less affected by allergies, have clearer skin, experience clearer thinking, etc. Some have even resolved infertility issues after removing grains and sugar from their diet. 

I figure there are worse things you could try for 30 days besides adding a little movement to your week and removing sugar and grains from your diet, right? If you decide to take on the challenge, keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you have any questions or could use some tips. If in 30 days, you don't feel better and aren't getting the results you want, you have my permission to stop. I certainly won't be any better or worse off, no matter the decision you make :) Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Constructive comments are always welcome!